How We Have Already Wasted Time!

Swami Rama: "I  began  to  realize  the  difference  between  book knowledge and experiential knowledge. I began to see my many weaknesses, and I did not find it pleasant. Finally I returned to my master. He asked, “What have you learned?”

“I have learned that I have intellectual knowledge, but I do not behave in accord with that knowledge.”

He said, “This is the problem all intellectuals have. They become overly proud of their knowledge. NowI will teach you how to practice, so that you will know.”

A human being knows enough, but that knowledge needs to be brought into daily life. If this is not done, the  knowledge  remains  limited  within  the  boundaries  of  knowing  only.  We  all  know  what  to  do  and  what not to do, but it is very  difficult to learn how to  be. Real knowledge is found not in knowing but rather in being.

Once when I was teaching about life and death a swami quietly came in and sat with my students. I thought that  he  was  a  beginner,  so  I  treated  him  as  I  treated  the  others.  I  was  annoyed  because  he  only  smiled, constantly  smiled,  while  the  others  were  very  conscientiously  taking  notes.  I  finally  asked,  “Are  you listening to me?”

He said, “You are only talking, but I can demonstrate mastery over life and death. Bring me an ant.”

A large ant was brought. He cut it into three pieces and separated them. Then he closed his eyes and sat motionless. After a moment the three parts moved toward each other. They joined together, and the revived ant scurried away. I knew it was not hypnosis, or anything like that.

I felt very small before that swami. And I was embarrassed before my students because I only knew the scriptures  without  a  firsthand  understanding  and  mastery  of  life  and  death.  I  asked,  “Where  did  you  learn that?” He said, “Your master taught me.”

At  that  I  became  angry  with  my  master  and  immediately  went  to  him.  Seeing  me  he  asked,  “What happened?  Why  are  you  once  again  allowing  anger  to control  you?  You  are  still  a  slave  to  your  violent emotions.”

I said, “You teach others things which you don’t teach me. Why?”

He looked at me and said, “I have taught you many things—but you don’t practice. That is not my fault! All these achievements depend on practice, not just on verbal knowledge of them. If you know all about the piano but don’t practice, you will never create music. Knowing is useless without practice. Knowing is mere information. Practice gives direct experience, which alone is valid knowledge.”

Sources:
1. pgs. 45-46, Living with the Himalayan Master by Swami Rama
2. pgs. 15-16, Fearless Living: Yoga and Faith by Swami Rama

Comments

Popular Posts